- U.S House of Representatives: Resources For Federal Employees
- Unemployment benefits: Federal government employees who have been separated from their job due to the shutdown and have questions about unemployment benefits should contact the Virginia Employment Commission. The phone number for the Customer Contact Center is 866-832-2263.
Washington DC, Maryland and Northern VA:
- Northern Virginia Family Service: Resources for Furloughed Workers
- NoVA counties support federal employees during government shutdown: this article provides information on various resources such as food assistance, substitute teaching hiring events and payment arrangements for utility bills among others.
- Alexandria Government Offers Resources For Furloughed Workers
- Hotline available for assistance: Individuals in need can contact Fairfax County’s Coordinated Services Planning staff at 703-222-0880 (TTY 711) for assistance in connecting to resources. This service is available Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. The multilingual staff can assist callers in multiple foreign languages.
- Teaching hires: Fairfax County Public Schools are recruiting furloughed federal employees to work as substitute teachers. Additional information can be found online.
- Pet Supplies: The Animal Shelter has pet food and limited other pet supplies available for furloughed federal employees. The supplies are available during shelter business hours and no is appointment needed. For more information, contact the Fairfax County Animal Shelter at 703-830-1100 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Manna Food Center is providing food assistance for Montgomery County’s residents affected by the Federal Shutdown. For more information, please contact the Manna Food Center call Manna’s main office during regular business hours at (301) 424-1130 or email them at email@example.com
- Metro plans to offer free rides to working feds during shutdown
- Fairfax County Economic Development Authority
- Paypal is offering interest-free one-time cash advance, up to your available credit line for a maximum of $500 (with a minimum amount of $250) to existing or new PayPal Credit customers who are U.S. federal government employees impacted by the shutdown. For more information, please visit their website.
- 15 Freebies and Deals for Furloughed Workers During Government Shutdown